Saturday, September 24, 2011

Special Needs Decorating: Fresh Mantlepiece Flowers

I wrote this on December 3, 2008

----------

My special first grader, tall for his age, is totally obsessed with plants and flowers and used to bat these vases off the mantelpiece every chance he got. Since I love having fresh flowers in my LR (purchased cheaply at the grocery store or picked from my yard--even tree branches will do), I decided to out-smart him. I found these metal pots and vases at the 99cents store. I marked the desired positions, poked a hole in the middle of each pot with a hammer and nail, then screwed the pots into the wood of the mantelpiece. (The mantelpiece itself was nothing special--just a pine shelf board and moulding I put up myself--so I didn't care about putting holes in it.) Then I screwed metal eyelets into the wall behind where each vase would go. Luckily there was a horizontal stud there so they are quite secure. Finally, I just put the flower-filled vases in the pots, and tied them to the eyelets with string. When I get around to it I'll replace the regular string with clear fishline. Fresh flowers make any room special and they make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment